Register a new plant name
Log in or create an account to register a new plant name.
How to register a new plant name
Step 1: Create an account or login
Before you start you will need to Create an account or if you already have an account you can just Log in.Get started
Step 2: Register a new plant name
- choose what kind of nomenclatural novelty you want to register: whether you are registering a new name, a new combination or a replacement name
- add the plant name details
- review and submit
Step 3: A Life Sciences Identifier (LSID) will be emailed to you
Now you've registered a new plant name you will be sent an LSID that you should use in your publication.
An LSID is a unique identifier used for referencing and accessing biological data (including plant names) stored in multiple digital sources across the web. Publishing a new plant name with an associated LSID will ensure the name will be easily accessed by the global botanical community.
- easier to find new plant names in digital repositories
- increased consistency in naming plants
- reduction in the number of names published contrary to the rules of the International Code of Nomenclature
- more semantic web connections
Once you’ve registered a new plant name
Is your publication ready? Don't forget to include your LSID in it. You can request a release of the new plant name to the IPNI website. Your contribution will help promote your work and make IPNI a more comprehensive plant name resource/database